Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chocolate Chip Muffins - Comfort Breakfast Food



Rain rain go away, come again another day.

Was supposed to go jogging this evening but it was raining at my usual spot, pouring thunderstorm. While going home, I actually prayed that I won't have to go. But when I didn't manage to go, I felt something amiss. The irony of it, the irony of me. Thinking back, I know exactly what I'm missing out on, the exact thing I needed right now. I want to let go and be myself, I want my freedom, my joy, my peace. I can't imagine living a life trying to be someone I'm not. I crave and long to be true to my one and only self.

I hate to admit this, but I got pretty affected by the series of events that happened over the past two days. I haven't been myself, I haven't been doing what I should be doing, but it doesn't matter. Magical comfort comes when I know I'm loved regardless of what I did or did not do. I can go ahead and live a life of freedom, making mistakes, falling down, then picking myself up again and stride forth with a confident expectation of good. Life is still beautiful.

I woke up craving for muffins today and popped by the cafe downstairs to take a peek at their lovely domed-shaped muffins. Unfortunately, they weren't available early in the morning, hence I went without breakfast. In order to prevent further disappointment, I made myself a batch of muffins with whatever leftover chocolate chips I had in my stash. Thank goodness there were enough to spare.

Made this with my favourite muffin recipe, and learnt a new lesson in the process. From now on, I resolve to not use measurements by cups and weigh my ingredients instead. It makes a whole lot of difference! Not that I've been measuring by cups alot, but when I feel lazy, I tend to take shortcuts. With the potential discrepancy in quality staring straight at my face, I shall be disciplined and do it the right way.




This recipe yields light, fluffy muffins which I absolutely love. I do prefer using vegetable oil instead of butter for my muffins as well. The recipe's quick to make and bakes beautifully. I'm sticking to this till I find something even better. Let me know if you have other ideas :).


Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients:
170g all-purpose flour
150g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
80ml vegetable oil
1 egg
80ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract


Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

2. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.

3. In a measuring cup, mix the oil, egg and milk together. Mix this together with the flour mixture until just incorporated.

4. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full, then bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.


Yields 8 medium muffins.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's fantastic that you're keeping your chin up- I hope things take a better turn for you soon.

    Anyway I love baking by weight too- it's sooo much more convenient and less washing up to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good and go well with fresh milk or hot milo : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. eatandbehappy,

    Thanks, I hope so too :). The road sure hasn't been easy, it will get better.

    Ah yes! Baking by weight! Do you use a digital weighing scale? I think my old-school scale needs an update...heh.


    Irene,

    Thanks! Yesss, I'm having them with a cup of coffee now. Especially good after warming them up in the microwave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allie
    I am going to set up another blog for baking/cooking. Are you using one of the blogspot standard templates??

    Still thinking of a good nice name

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene,

    Yes, I'm using one of the standard templates. I'm a noob at html, hence thought it would be easier that way. Yayyy, look forward to seeing your baking/cooking blog up soon! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails